Thursday, October 2, 2008

Touchdown Chili Recipe



I love SEC college football. In fact, most people I know love SEC football. When summer starts to turn to fall, all our attention turns to the college football prospects and schedules of our favorite teams. I have a personal attachment to the University of Georgia Bulldogs, class of 2003 here, they are my team through thick and thin. And well...it takes a lot of lovin' to make up for the show they put on last weekend against Alabama. It doesn't help the matter that just a year ago me and my family moved to Alabama, and YAY!, I get verbally harrassed just about everywhere I go.

Football, fall, family, and food. All go hand in hand. I always love to whip up something special for game day. I am going to do a short series on my blog every Thursday and include delicious recipes that you could try for your football festivities, they will be just as great otherwise also. I must add that I love to cook and trying out new recipes is a favorite hobby of mine. Any recipe I share with you will have been thoroughly tested and approved :)


Touchdown Chili

This recipe is pretty simple to throw together, aside from the fact that there are a lot of ingredients. But I promise you will not be disappointed. And, when you happen to add some of these ingredients to your pantry to try this recipe, I promise you will use them again and again! I think it is oh so important to follow this recipe to the 'T', at least the first time you try it. It will easily feed 6-8 people. Sometimes I halve the recipe for me and my husband and I still can freeze two bags to eat later.

Ingredients
  • 2.5 lbs ground beef

  • 1 diced yellow onion

  • 6 oz beer

  • 1 tsp brown sugar, black pepper, and salt

  • 2 tsp red wine vinegar, hot sauce, ground cumin, and lemon juice

  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder and ground red pepper (cayenne)
  • 1 can black beans and 1 can kidney beans (drained - choose the size can based on how much you like beans in your chili)

  • 37 oz tomato sauce

  • 4 tbsp chili powder

  • 4 tsp worcestershire sauce

Directions
  1. In large 5qt pot, soften onions over medium heat, slowly adding beer until beer is mostly evaporated. Add beef and brown until cooked through, drain.
  2. Add all other measured ingredients, mixing well. Bring to boil, cover, simmer on low, ENJOY!!
Great additions that we love : Rice, Frito's corn chips, cheddar cheese, and sour cream. YUM!

**The picture is from the etsy shop of a great new etsy seller http://www.aprilink.etsy.com/. Her listing is for some very unique party invites, click the pic to find out more!**

No comments: