Monday, September 10, 2012

Toys for Toddlers - LeapFrog Leapster Explorer

LeapFrog Leapster Explorer Learning Game System (Green)
I was sitting here thinking about adding a post to the blog and thought I would feature my children's overall favorite toy. I have a 3-year-old and a 6-year old and by far their favorite toy is the Leapster Explorer Learning System. It can really take a beating from these kids.

My oldest got this handheld game for Christmas 2 years ago and since then my youngest has grown into using it all by himself.  They are allowed to use it a few days a week and would sit for hours to play it if they could. The Leapster Explorer lets each child have their own profile, so they just click their name after turning the unit on to play under their own name; this way they can't mess up their siblings progress in a game. I got a few free app codes (search around the internet, you may be able to find a deal somewhere) which gave the kids some fun little games I could download from the website.

Hooking the handheld up to the computer was super easy. There are some neat features online to keep up with your child's progress in each game. The games are learning oriented, they aren't just for playing, the kids have to use their brain to get it right. My 6-year-old is in 1st grade and such a smart girl, these games keep her challenged, and at the same time keep my 3-year-old boy entertained.

When I purchased the handheld, I spent time and researched between several different brands. Overall, they are all in the same price range. Always be sure to scour the internet for sale prices on such a large purchase!
The Fisher-Price iXL 6-in-1 Learning System (Blue) was on my list, but overall I did not think that the software could compete with LeapFrog. There were fewer games and the handheld has to be held differently than would be expected.

The LeapFrog Leapster 2 Learning Game System - Green  was at the very top of my list, but the games seemed to be geared to slightly older kids. Although most of them are now interchangeable. I think this unit is a good choice for a toy for toddlers, an equal to the Leapster we have.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Accessories

When I bought the LeapFrog Leapster Explorer, I added on the Leapfrog Leappad Carrying Case Fashion Handbag Tote and the camera to my purchase. The two of these are essential for my kids, they are horrible at losing things and the bag keeps everything packed away tidy.
I just love this little carrying case. We have carried this thing everywhere and it still holds up perfectly. Everything for the game fits snugly inside.
This is the LeapFrog Leapster Explorer Camera and Video Recorder that goes with the handheld. It fits into the bottom of the unit. It works perfectly and turns the handheld into a digital camera. I thought the price was great and it is kids favorite part of the Leapster Explorer. The camera software includes games, editing, and photo album features. The kids can easily manage their photo albums by deleting and editing photos and videos. It is a fun and creative tool for the kids.



No comments: